“I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Ice Cream” is the popular song written in 1927. While not many remember the rest of the song, this lyric remains as popular as ever due to our nations love of everything ice cream.
Whether you like chocolate or vanilla, served on a cone, in a dish as a sundae, as a shake, or just a scoop alongside a slice of apple pie, ice cream is one of the nation’s most popular and best-selling desserts good anytime of the year. There is even a website devoted to our love of all things ice cream and we here at Find&Save love ice cream so much we have devoted a whole Pinterest board to it featuring Baskin-Robbins.
Be sure to open the Find&Save app this Thursday, March 31 for a special cash back offer on $1.31 scoop day at Baskin Robbins. So not only do you get to indulge in your favorite dessert anyway you want, you are rewarded for it too.
So, while you wait for the deal on Thursday to begin, here are some fun ice cream and Baskin-Robbins facts.
- In the 1700’s ice cream, in its simplest form, is introduced to America’s high society.
- During the 1880’s, the ice cream sundae is born and in 1904 it is reported that the waffle cone was introduced at the World’s Fair in St. Louis.
- July is National Ice Cream month.
- According to icecream.com, The United States is number 2 in the world when it comes to ice cream consumption (per capita, gallons per year). New Zealand is No. 1
- Vanilla is the No. 1 flavor in America and California produces the most ice cream in America.
- Baskin-Robbins is the world’s largest chain of ice cream specialty shops (national and international stores in 50 countries) and was founded in 1945 by brothers-in-law Burt Baskin and Irv Robbins.
- In 1948, the first Baskin-Robbins was opened in Glendale, California.
- Baskin-Robbins “31®” was created to represent a different ice cream flavor for each day of the month. The “31 Flavors” concept was introduced into marketing efforts in 1953.
- Since 1945, Baskin-Robbins has created more than 1,300 unique and delicious ice cream flavors.
- The top 5 selling Baskin-Robbins ice cream flavors are Vanilla, Chocolate, Mint Chocolate Chip, Pralines ‘n Cream and Chocolate Chip
- The popular Pralines ‘n Cream was developed when Irv and Irma Robbins were enjoying some pralines while in New Orleans and that’s when inspiration hit. It has been a best seller ever since.
- The Guinness World Record for the largest cup of ice cream is currently held by Baskin-Robbins. Created on September 13, 2005 in celebration of the company’s 60th birthday, the enormous scoop of vanilla ice cream weighed in at 8,865 pounds!
- Famous former Baskin-Robbins scoopers include President Barack Obama, TV hosts Leeza Gibbons and Rosie O’Donnell, Chef Bobby Flay, actresses Julia Roberts, Taryn Manning and Chandra Wilson, actors Eric Dane and Randy Quaid and New York Yankees pitcher Phil Hughes.