Cue the graduation march and grab the tissues, because your family member or dear friend is closing a chapter and starting a new one. Whether they’re graduating from high school or receiving a college degree, your new graduate is sure to smile for the camera, again, thanks to this list of 10 great gift ideas.
1. Headphones: The perfect solution for when your graduate is trying to study or work in a fast-paced office. Surprise them with a pair of Beats By Dr. Dre Beats Solo High-Definition headphones. These wonders come in an array of colors (I love the blue) and even have a built-in microphone for when they have to take important phone calls, or just chat with mom and dad. Find them at Best Buy for $199.99.
2. Wallet: Student ID cards will need a new home. A classic bi-fold design for the gentleman, like this Ted Baker London ‘Bright’ wallet ($99) or a slim leather wallet that doubles as a chic clutch for the ladies, like this one by Michael Kors ($158) are fabulous options and available at Nordstrom.
3. Laptop: School work and office work both require a trusty computer to get the job done. Now through May 25 at both RadioShack and Staples find the perfect one from brands you know and trust, like Toshiba, HP and Dell on sale. Bonus for you and your graduate!
4. Necklace: Whether they’re 18 or 22 ladies will always appreciate getting a nice piece of jewelry. Make it special and something that will remind them of something personal – family, hometown, birthstone, you name it! I’m a big fan of this diamond-accent soaring dove pendant from Zales, and it’s on sale now for $99.99. Get it? Spreading your wings?
5. Book Bag: Perfect for attending class, a meeting, or taking your laptop to Starbucks. Find the right bag that is both practical and stylish. For the guy on the go, now 50% off at Macy’s scoop up this Columbian leather laptop bag by Kenneth Cole Reaction for $229.99. Looking for something a little more colorful? Try this LeSportsac Campus messenger bag for $68.
6. Tablet: Read books in bed or check your email on the go. The iPad and its little sibling the iPad Mini are both available at Best Buy. You can choose to get the wifi only version or go with a cellular provider depending on the kind of use anticipated.
7. Bike: Transportation is key! Get your graduate something they’ll utilize in and out of college. On sale now at Sports Authority, men’s and women’s bikes like these from Diamondback, the Serene Citi Classic for $259.99 and the Edgewood hybrid bike for $329.99. Both are ideal for the easy commute to campus or the market. And don’t forget the helmet!
8. Dorm Kit: Essentials. All young adults must have the essentials. Get your creative juices flowing and put together a basket of must-have items. May I suggest stocking up at Bed Bath & Beyond? They have everything you need: shower caddys, towel sets, pictures frames (for family pics), one-cup coffee makers and more. For other fillers head to Target or Walmart to gather toiletries such as toothpaste and face wash.
9. Watch: Teach a new graduate early on that they must always be on time, and select watches at Sears are now on sale. Guys will go for a more classic look, like this Bulova silver-tone watch ($280), and this year ladies are drawn to rose gold. You can’t go wrong with this one from Relic for 25% off ($108.75).
10. Bedding: Whether it’s dorm bedding or new apartment bedding, a fresh new look and comfy bed will surely help with the transition. Head to your nearest Kohl’s and check out their large selection of complete bedding sets (many on sale now). No need for mixing and matching!
Best of luck to your graduate and happy shopping!
Photo c/o of Flickr j.o.h.n.-walker